Thursday 25 March 2010

Nokia Ovi Suite

Nokia has recently updated their PC Suite software to a newer, probably entirely rewritten program called Ovi Suite. It looks flashier, and has a few new features that I like, such as automatic scheduled backups and boasts an integrated UI rather than the several different programs and windows comprising PC Suite. The down side of installing this spiffy new software is that some features have been dropped.

After synchronising my phone data, I used to check the sync log to see what had been changed, and correct any errors or duplications that had occurred. This is no longer possible. The other thing I do is export my text messages to files on my computer, which also saves space on the phone. The only actions now possible with messages via Ovi Suite are "Reply" or "Delete". So on the whole, my feelings are mixed about the upgrade. I expect I'll adapt to the lack of a sync log, but being unable to export my messages is a real problem for me.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I may have just missed a feature.
PPS - At least the old suite is still available and should still work.

No comments: