Thursday 4 March 2010

Chatroulette

Have you tried chatroulette.com? I have. I haven't provided the link just in case you click without knowing what you're getting into. The site connects you with strangers for video chat. It's okay, except for a few things. I think it would be improved if you could specify up front whether you are male or female and who you'd like to chat with. I suspect I was disconnected from a lot of my random strangers because they were young males looking for females. Of course you'd also need to be able to flag people as liars in that regard, and marking people as inappropriate would help too. The only words I exchanged were to gratefully receive a compliment on my beard.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I don't think there's any way to make the site kid-safe, as hysterical current affairs shows have noticed.
PPS - Fortunately, if you don't like what you see, you just hit "Next" and it goes away.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I only just heard about this on Saturday, and now everybody's talking about it.

I'm not too keen on checking it out, though. If dating sites have taught me anything, the guy/girl ratio should be 99 to 1, and 98 of those guys won't have pants on.

John said...

It's not so much a dating site to me, but you're spot on about the pantsless ratio.

Stuey said...

Some of the people are far too inappropriate, sometimes you can't hit the next button fast enough

John said...

I know what you mean. It's an interesting concept, but I'm waiting for a knockoff that adds more features for filtering.