Wednesday 3 March 2010

Music as a service

I wonder whether it is an artifact of my middle age that I don't buy so much music any more. It might be the changing world, or I might have less money available, what with having a mortgage and a wife, or maybe I just don't care about music the way I used to. Or it might be that music is more like a service now, rather than a product, and it's everywhere. Do you want to hear a particular song right now? Just go on YouTube and you can watch the video, or minimise the window and just listen. Wherever you drive, the radio plays the same few songs from their current playlist, and they do you the courtesy of updating it regularly too. Why would I ever need to buy more music?

Well, there are some things that I'd like to have, like Pink and Green Day (who should definitely do a collaborative album, with names that go together like their colours) and when we drive from Brisbane to Roma once or twice a year we pass through several radio dead zones where recorded music is a necessity. Apart from that, there's little reason to bother buying anything. My enthusiasm for a given song is likely to run out by the time it disappears from the radio.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Often my enthusiasm disappears long before that.
PPS - I don't understand why some songs get so much air play.

No comments: