Friday 13 March 2009

Contrasting hardware and software attitudes

I seem to be a hardware luddite but a software ... pioneer? Is that the word? I own the lowest possible phone that does what I want, and I didn't pay a cent for it, because it came free with my phone plan. I will only upgrade it when the contract runs out and they'll give me a better phone for free. My desktop computer hasn't been upgraded in years and my laptop is pretty much gathering dust.

But in software, I'm reading books on my phone, synchronising my Outlook calendar with Google Calendar, keeping a personal wiki of many of my thoughts, running virtual machines on a Linux host and writing new software if I can't find some that does the job for me already.

Of course software is more easily changed than hardware, so it's easier to experiment with it. As long as you can back up your data, there's very little risk associated with trying out something new.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Perhaps I'm just a cheapskate.
PPS - Most of my software is free.

No comments: