Wednesday 11 July 2007

Ad-blindness

I've been asked on the emailcash.com.au Quick Survey "Which medium annoys you the most with the amount and type of advertising it carries?" The options were: TV, radio, online, cinema, magazines, newspapers, outdoor, or none of the above. For a moment, I was stumped, for the following reasons:

1. I don't watch television in the conventional way anymore. I record it on my PC and skip the ads later or I watch it on DVD with no ads.
2. I use ad blocking software online, so I hardly see any ads. Those that get through are ignored or blocked manually.
3. I close my eyes when the cinema screen accuses me of being a copyright thief and otherwise enjoy movie previews which are the primary type of cinema advertising.
4. I only read two magazines and skip the ads.
5. I don't read newspapers.
6. When I'm driving, ads are a distraction from the road, so I don't look.

I guess that leaves me with radio, plus a realisation to my near-complete selective blindness to advertising.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I do see some.
PPS - Probably bus shelter billboards are the ones I notice most.

No comments: