Friday 27 April 2007

The role of IT support

The job of the IT department in a company should be to enable communication and provide tools for productivity. They do have to secure data that requires it, but I think we over-emphasise that aspect. The IT department is there to serve the users and enable them to perform their jobs better, not to lock them out of increasingly more applications and network access protocols. If we get into a mindset where the IT department are the World Wide Web Gatekeepers, I think we have a problem. If I say "I can't connect to my clients this way" and IT says "Oh, we didn't think of that. Let's talk about how it could work", that's more like it.

Personally I'd love to say to our help desk staff that Mozilla Thunderbird is the email client I prefer over Lotus Notes, then have them reply that they'll set up the servers to allow me to use it.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Always remember that humans are in control of the machines.
PPS - Adapt your machines to suit your needs, not the other way around.

1 comment:

Erin Marie said...

[i]PS - Always remember that humans are in control of the machines.[/i]

For now.
*suspicious look*