Wednesday 17 January 2007

Print me a house

This is fascinating and brilliant to me. Robots to build houses, inspired by inkjet printers. I'm intrigued by it because I've been thinking a lot recently about 3D printing and rapid prototyping technology and how it could be implemented cheaply and effectively for small objects at home. It never occurred to me that it might work for building very large structures too.

Taking the concept further, how about bigger buildings created this way? Skyscrapers, ships, roads, power plants. We could send a robot like this to the moon to build a fully functional permanent installation ready for astronauts to inhabit. That last one, though, would probably be trumped by simpler designs like inflatable geodesic domes.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - But if we want to live there, we'll want sturdier structures.
PPS - And we don't want to pay bricklayers to wear spacesuits.

No comments: