Wednesday 10 August 2005

The Force I Believe In

Every time I casually mention to Erin that she is not, in fact, on television (a-la The Truman Show) she retorts that The Force is not real either. Usually she goes on to argue that she is on television, but I still can't have The Force. I just thought it would help to clear this up: I don't actually believe in The Force the same way it's depicted in Star Wars.

There is a Force that identifies the colours of our actions, Dark or Light, depending on motivation. When we act for selfish gain or are compelled to take a short-term advantage at the expense of long-term possibilities, that is the Dark Side. When our actions overall cost more than they produce, that is the Dark Side. When we act for altruistic purposes, build up for mutual gain and create rather than destroy, we are with the Light Side.

The Force I believe in will not tell you what another person is thinking, nor will it let you move objects with your mind, build a lightsabre or shoot lightning from your fingertips. It can, however, tell you how a particular person might act, given their Light/Dark alignment. It comes from inside you, not the universe.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - It certainly doesn't come from midichlorians.
PPS - And Erin is not on television.

2 comments:

Erin Marie said...

See now - that sounds plausible - your whole 'Force' - Light Side/Dark side theory. If you'd explained it to me like that in the first place, then maybe I wouldn't have been so gung ho about telling you the force is real.

But you know what this means - if your theory about the force is plausible, then so must be the theory that I'm on TV... Right?

(I am on TV).

Erin Marie said...

And by the way - your 'mentioning' is far from casual. Half the time I expect you to perform your deathly karate moves on me.