Sunday 16 January 2005

The Sunday Mok - So Long, And Thanks For All The Riffs

Last Sunday I was falling asleep in the morning church service due to a late night. I imagine I'll be doing that again today, for much the same reason. I hung out at Kirsty's place in the afternoon and also after the evening church service.
Going back to work on Monday was definitely a drag. Killing time for the entire week was not a good feeling, either. I know I achieved some things - I just felt like there should have been more of them. Netball in the evening.
More work on Tuesday and much the same feeling. It kept up all week. Karate in the evening and an early night. I wanted to stay awake more easily at work. I don't think I really achieved that.
On Wednesday I picked up Evil Genius and played it for a while. It's probably just the novelty factor that's leading me to spend more time on this game than my others.
On Thursday, when I got home from work, it was still light outside, so I went for a run. I've started carrying 2kg dumbbells because the 1kg ones were no challenge anymore. My time is still up around 37 minutes for my regular route, and I have not yet completed it carrying the bigger weights without slowing to a walk. When I can run the whole thing in 30 minutes or less, I upgrade weights again.
Friday night I spent hours playing Evil Genius, well into the witching hour. Had a timeslip - I kept going for just five more minutes several times. A party next door kept going until 02:40 with no music, just loud drunk-talk. At 01:00 I put in some earplugs which blocked out only my recognition of the words. I settled for that.
Saturday was the farewell GERALD gig (and I still don't know if they preferred their name written in all-caps, all-lowercase or one capital). After a few good bands (Half Way Out and Triple-07 were the best, IMO, and I heard Rest Assured's "Captain Planet" cover again), Gerald came on and played a set of probably 25 songs or so. If they started on time, they played for 2 hours, and I was up the front skanking the whole time. That's about the level of sophistication I can manage in dance: flailing and kicking around to the beat. This is probably why I love ska. I like Half Way Out too. They gave me a t-shirt.
Needless to say, after two hours of active dance, I was perspiring a little. We could have grown rice. It felt pretty darn good to change out of those clothes and get to bed. I saw many people there, too. My friends, some old schoolmates, friends and family of the band and lots of fans.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - It's a shame to see the band go.
PPS - Geographical pressures are fairly insurmountable in the music world, though.

No comments: