Monday 14 June 2010

Facebook Likes Ambiguity

I hesitate these days to link my Facebook profile with some things, not because of any privacy issues but because it makes a weird phrase I can't contextualise. For example, I am a fan of the science fiction writing of Cory Doctorow, and in the past I could have expressed this on Facebook by "becoming a fan", which sounds okay. Since Facebook changed their system, however, my only option is to have my profile say "[Mokalus] likes Cory Doctorow". If you don't know who he is, that sounds weird. Moreover, do I like the man, his digital activist views, his science fiction or his posts on Boing Boing? You don't know, I can't say and Facebook doesn't care.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - If that example is too obscure, consider a fan of Michael Jackson's music.
PPS - I guess the best option is to find specific books or albums to Like.

No comments: