I thought it might be interesting to compare the area of various of the United States and the Australian states and territories. According to these two Wikipedia articles:
- Western Australia is bigger than any state in the US. It is, in fact, slightly larger than Alaska and Texas combined.
- Queensland is approximately the size of Texas.
- The Northern Territory is slightly smaller than Texas plus California plus Montana.
- South Australia is about the size of Texas plus Arizona plus Kentucky.
- New South Wales weighs in at Texas plus Louisiana.
- Victoria is slightly larger than Minnesota.
- Tasmania is just smaller than West Virginia plus Delaware.
- The Australian Capital Territory is not quite as big as Rhode Island.
PS - Australian states are larger because the same land area is divided many fewer times.
PPS - Texas would easily fit into any of the five largest states and territories of Australia.