Thursday 29 March 2007

Social islands

The number of social networking sites currently in existence is approximately the square root of the number of users. It seems fine, because The People have Choice, but it's a pain when you have to maintain nine different profiles to stay in touch with all your virtual buddies.

Social networking websites could be interoperable if they were based on OpenID. The profiles wouldn't be the same between sites, but I believe it can be done. Furthermore, I believe it will become increasingly necessary.

For new social networking sites to get off the ground, they need a "critical mass" of users. If "nobody" is using the site, almost nobody will sign up. By creating a standard for interoperation, a new site doesn't need its own critical mass to get off the ground. They can service a few hundred users and be fine with that, especially if they fulfil a niche that caters particularly to those users.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I could start designing an interoperable social networking protocol myself, I guess.
PPS - But I'm too busy updating my profiles.

No comments: