Friday 2 March 2007

Children of Eden

Last night I went to see Children of Eden by Harvest Rain, a musical interpretation of Genesis chapters 1 to 9, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. For a pro-am performance, it certainly felt more pro than am. The first half, up to the murder of Abel, I found deeply moving, as I saw a familiar story in a new light (with a bit of artistic license). The human side of the relationship between God and people, as well as the heartbreaking betrayal was very powerful.

The second half dealt mostly with Noah and the flood (and you've got to respect rhyming "Noah" with "protozoa"). The animal puppets were a highlight there, and more artistic licenses were taken with the story to make a point.

The music was excellent, the theatre space very well used and the sets and costumes just worked. Overall, a very positive experience.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - The show opens officially tonight.
PPS - I'm special, so I got to see it early.

2 comments:

Erin Marie said...

Oh Noah! You go-a, all the way back to the protazoa!

I can't tell you how long I've been hearing that song for. My sister is kind of obsessed with Children of Eden.

You would have seen some of her (and thusly my) friends in that performance! OooOoOoooooh!

John said...

I wouldn't recognise any of them, though Deb claimed to have seen one of the chorus singers before.