Monday 11 December 2006

Turn left where?

I'm starting to prefer Google Maps over WhereIs.com.au, simply because links to Google maps are free. Unfortunately, while Google Maps does provide driving directions, it doesn't work with Brisbane. It can't even give me directions from my place to next door. I guess that means it's coming later, but it's still funny from a human perspective.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - So for now I'm using Google Maps for locations and WhereIs for directions.
PPS - I haven't looked for third-party Google Maps directions sites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi John

Read your comment about looking for free map links. Whereis now provides free access to a modified version of our API (mapping interface). Check it out at http://workshop.whereis.com/api/index.thtml

You might also like to check out the hi-res aerial maps that we added to http://whereis.com late last year. Just look up a map and click on the 'Photo' button (bottom left) and zoom right in. Offers a great view of most capital cities.

And you can pick up a GPS portable nav device by entering our comp at http://competition.whereis.com

John said...

Having written this a few months ago, the information has grown a bit stale. Whereis.com is now offering free API access and hi-res images ... and Google Maps now offers driving directions for Brisbane.

I like the Whereis.com images - higher resolution than Google for my home suburb, at least. I'm glad about the API access, too. It's important to have competition in areas like this, because it keeps the companies trying to serve us, the consumers, better.

I've tried to enter the competition, but I don't think it worked. The website might demand Internet Explorer. It's a pity, too, because a personal GPS navigation device is high on my wish list.