Thursday 21 December 2006

I've been had

A few days ago I watched Kenny, all the while thinking I was watching a real documentary. Only right at the end, when the actors' names are shown, did I realise everything was not as it seemed. Then, as I thought back over the movie, I recognised that some of the situations in the movie were absurd, and of course they're not real.

Then, discussing this very topic with Anthony last night, I learned that the family depicted on screen was made up of an actual family (father, sons and grandson) and that the main actor may actually be a toilet cleaner. His name's not Kenny Smyth, though. So now I'm not sure what to believe. I guess it's halfway between a scripted movie and a real documentary.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - The term "mockumentary" doesn't quite cover that.
PPS - I'm not sure what term would describe it accurately.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

its based on a real life portable toilet guy, and as far as im aware, he is actually a friend of the guy who plays kenny. dont hold me to that though. but all of the scenes are 'real', like the ones at the concerts and stuff, that was an actual job at a concert and these guys just jumped in and did some filming. :) same with the melbourne cup. the company is 100% real as well. its his friends company. that is all.