Monday 6 March 2006

Spore

Over the weekend I saw a video (35 mins, very large) on Spore, a game that is still in development, but looks extremely cool. Building a lifeform from microsocopic level up to interstellar megapower somehow appeals on so many levels. I spent the rest of my time dreaming up new creature configurations to try ... when I get my copy of the game, after it is finally released.

One thing that impressed me was that the game designers have essentially focused on the game dynamic and algorithms and have left actual content up to the players. The enemy creatures you fight against will, in all likelihood, have been designed by other players and be automatically downloaded to your machine for the game to use. That's sneaky in a way, but also very smart, because it will give the game vast variety for virtually no cost.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - If you have a high-speed connection and thirty minutes, the gameplay video is really worth it.
PPS - I definitely want this game.

1 comment:

Erin Marie said...

My question is - will I want this game. It sounds intriguing.