Sunday 3 July 2005

The Sunday Mok - Papa Smurf Returns Home

Last Sunday it suddenly dawned on me that, after the wedding I'll have four mour birthdays and an anniversary to remember each year. Now I may actually need to use a calendar.
On Monday I felt like Homer, our Workplace Health & Safety software, was about ready for initial testing by people other than me. Also, as the result of a last-minute decision, I saw War of the Worlds, which I thoroughly recommend. It is a bit scary, if you get scared by movies.
By Tuesday I seemed to be mostly over the cold I'd been struggling with for just over a week. Also, Dad returned home from Russia with The Beard and a large collection of authentic Russian matryoshka dolls.
I spent my Wednesday at work on documentation for Homer, and it felt slow and unproductive, probably just because I wasn't coding. I also went to FISH where we watched Mountain of Fire about the search for the true Mt Sinai. Interesting.
I spent most of Thursday hacking together a command-line tool to compare a database to the script that is meant to create it. It's useful for pointing out any changes that were made after the initial script creation. It felt better than documentation.
On Friday I had the rare experience of riding to and from work on the bus alone. It actually felt rather good, mostly because making conversation is sometimes painful, and sitting in silence trying to think of something to say is worse. So I was reading and listening to music on my Zen Micro. I also received - much quicker than I had anticipated - the Thermaltake speakers I ordered. It took about an hour to get them installed and working, and only fifteen minutes of that was the actual inserting and connecting part. The rest was re-enabling sound in my suddenly and mysteriously silent PC.
On Saturday, I felt really good. Unusually good, even. I think this was due to finally being well again, coupled with some good recharging alone time, plus the feeling of accomplishment from getting the speakers working. I went bowling after lunch and spent the rest of the day just playing games. A good day.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - This is possibly a record number of outbound links from one post.
PPS - And the first time I've included a picture in a Sunday Mok.

3 comments:

Erin Marie said...

Your dad looks like Santa after he's been away on holidays, and clipped his beard and hair. That is, if that picture is of your dad, and not of some random person. I wouldn't put it past you.

John said...

No, that's the genuine father article. Can you see how his nose is just like mine? I look more like my mother, anyway, but that's definitely my Dad.

Erin Marie said...

Yeah. I can see it. I guess this means that you'll be doomed to Santa roles too. Sorry about that.