Tuesday 3 May 2005

Free Chocolate (if you're evil)!

Last week I brought a fundraising box of chocolates to work and left them in the kitchen with a sign and a coin receptacle. $1 each. You would not think this is a difficult concept to grasp, especially for adults, and especially for engineers, known for mathematical ability. I came up nearly three dollars short when the cash was counted afterwards. There are several scenarios that are plausible explanations:
1. People counted their change incorrectly.
2. People believed the sign was just a suggested donation price.
3. People did not read the sign at all, and just took what they wanted.
4. People put in what they had and intended to pay the rest later, but forgot.
5. People deliberately underpaid, relying on others to make up the difference.
Or, the most evil of all:
6. People steal from charity.

Now that is a totally foreign mindset to me. Who would steal from a fundraiser just because nobody's looking? I'm honestly baffled.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I have another box this week.
PPS - I may be locking it up overnight.

No comments: