Sunday 31 October 2004

The Sunday Mok - Unexpectedly Busy

Towards the end of this week I got a bit snowed under. You'll see what I mean.
Sunday was the second day at the Gold Coast Indy and we spent most of our time outside a Red Rooster that had adjusted their prices specially for the event. After the final race we walked along a length of the track and got stuck for a while in a crowd of drunk males, which is never a good place to be. We moved on before the growing crowd got too big to let us out.
Monday started with a blind beaurocracy demand: I work in an engineering firm, and thus I must have a Construction Site Safety Card for all my site visits. I write software. I am rarely, if ever, more than ten metres from my desk on business. Nevertheless, I must be trained. Four hours later, I am certified safe to visit construction sites and I return to my desk.
Tuesday was the day that I realised how busy the rest of my week was going to be. I had yet to do my taxes for this year, in addition to tutoring on Wednesday, leading a self-prepared bible study on Thursday and running the youth program on Friday. None of it was even started yet. I had to make a schedule to make sure I fit everything in, which is always (in my life) a sign that I am stressed and too busy.
Wednesday was definitely the first day of Summer: hot and humid in true Brisbane style. It'd be nice to have air conditioning. Tutoring went fine. I just hope I'm articulate enough to get Tim really ready for his exam.
On Thursday I finished off the second revision of my subscription list software module just in time to figure out a third design that would be more powerful and simpler. Sigh. I also had to fix some regularly-scheduled FTP tasks that had been failing. We blamed the remote server administrators, they blamed us until we proved that their servers were shutting down our connections.
Friday I ran the youth group program and, as is usual when I plan things, it could have gone more smoothly. The other leaders have grown used to picking up a little organisational slack from me which is good in a way, but it won't make me grow. I also blame the fact that I had little time in my schedule to plan it well.
On Saturday I saw Anchorman (review tomorrow) and also bought Myst IV: Revelation to add to the growing list of games I am currently playing. So far I am suitably impressed by it, though I need to move my relatively noisy computer further away to get the full atmospheric sound experience. I also checked out the City of Heroes Hallowe'en event, which involved trick-or-treating and a giant pumpkin-headed monster. It was pretty cool, but that monster was enormous and I couldn't kill it with the team I had.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Gotta go quickly now.
PPS - Seeya.

No comments: