Sunday 24 October 2004

The Sunday Mok - Late Late Edition

Having been at the Gold Coast Indy this weekend, I was away from an internet connection, so this Sunday Mok post comes to you from the office on Monday morning.
The Saturday night housewarming party left me with relatively little sleep to get through Sunday, but I made it through fine in the end. I had my first actual Java tutoring session that afternoon, and was just a bit disappointed in my own teaching abilities. I get programming, I just can't tell you much about it or how to do it.
On Monday I felt like I'd worked a bit too slowly, because of certain aspects of the approvals system I have to design. It's tricky to get just right, and I wanted to clear my head. I played City of Heroes to that end, and got myself into notable debt with my second character, Bane Mage.
Tuesday I had to refine the data model I'd been using for alert subscriptions in Professional 2, our big project, because my previous model didn't allow users to subscribe to all alerts of a certain type, which may be necessary. I also got unstuck in KOTOR, which made me happy and will suck up even more of my precious time.
Wednesday at work I spent most of the day working on a basic user interface to hand off to someone else to make better and I got a bit bogged down. I should have just cut it loose and given it to Brad. He's good at that type of thing.
On Thursday I spent way too much time looking for a relatively good solution to the "timetabling problem" because it would indirectly help me with part of the approvals system. I also spent about ninety minutes with three girls from my high school days: Audrey, Liz and Lynette. I turn into a motormouth around Liz - always have. It's fascinating to see from the inside.
On Friday I cut my losses on the timetable problem and opted for a solution that will very slightly complicate the user interface, but only just. We ran our fundraising trivia night at the church which probably ended up costing us money instead. Anyway, it was fun. Then, immediately after that, I went to a farewell party for Glenys who should be on a plane back to drab, grey England by the time I post this. Why she doesn't want to stay in the best city in the best state of the best country on Earth is quite beyond me. She must like rain and fog. ;) Luv ya, G. See you again in 12 months.
Saturday was the first day of the Indy, and I did know before I went that trackside was probably one of the less rewarding ways to experience motor sports. I was right. I still had lots of fun and I have to say thanks for the free ticket. I think that, if I go next year, I'd rather have an apartment with a higher view and a shorter distance to travel, like nowhere.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - More about Indy in Monday's post.
PPS - That, I suppose, is right now.

No comments: