Monday 29 April 2013

So much entertainment, so little time

There are so many books that I want to read, and so many new ones that will come out in the meantime, that I will probably never get through them all in my lifetime. The same goes for many other aspects of life. There are too many movies to see, too much TV to watch, too many articles to read, too many people to meet, too many careers to try. This is what I mean when I say that life is too short: the world is much too big to ever experience it all.

The upshot of all this is that, if there's not enough time to read all the books I want to read, I certainly don't have time to go back and read any over again. I don't have time to watch TV series a second time around, or to watch any of my movies again. So from that point of view, there's not much point collecting them. There's no reason to build a library of books or DVDs, because I can never afford the time to read or watch any of them again. Once I'm done with them, I have no reason to keep them. All my entertainment is disposable.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - A personal library is like a shrine to good memories.
PPS - In that way, it's a lot like photo albums. You can't go back there, but you can remember.

No comments: