Thursday 18 April 2013

Great expectations

I have a history of trying to reduce everyone's expectations of me. I tell them I can't sing, can't dance, can't improvise. I hate the feeling of disappointing someone. It is the worst feeling in the world to me. So if everyone expects little of me, I don't have anyone to disappoint. It is simple, solid, deeply flawed logic.

So how can I get over that? I don't want to swing far in the other direction, so that I'm talking myself up before falling short, but there has to be some way to middle ground, where I am objective and honest about my abilities and I meet the expectations they set up. I wish I knew how to get there.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Maybe, through fear, I put too much pressure on myself.
PPS - And maybe my supposed failures aren't as bad as I imagine.

No comments: