Wednesday 17 June 2009

Handling sincere yet awful Idol/Dance auditions

If I were a judge on Australian Idol or So You Think You Can Dance, I'd have trouble with auditions from sincere yet awful performers. It's hard to be tactful when you've been shown something that's undoubtedly terrible but represents someone's best and most serious effort. This is their dream and goal, and maybe it's not happening for them today, but how do you say that without humiliating them?

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Perhaps I'd start by asking if they've had any lessons.
PPS - If not, tactfully suggest that's the start point to fulfilling their dreams.

5 comments:

Erin Marie said...

What if they said they'd been studying the genre for six years?

John said...

Then I'd probably just have to tell them, without qualifying the statement, that they're not what we're looking for today.

Erin Marie said...

I'd like to role play this with you one day, just to see how you coped when I cried and said "But this is my dream! Please, please tell me what I need to do to be better. I'll die if I don't make it".

John said...

I'd take that challenge.

Erin Marie said...

And then when you thought you had it in the bag, I would just say 'It's because I'm fat isn't it?'