Thursday 28 May 2009

Tackling big tasks in tiny chunks

When I have a really big task to do, and it can be broken into lots of identical smaller tasks, I get it done by making the smaller tasks part of my routine. For instance, after I had been blogging for about two years, Blogger introduced the labels feature. I wanted my old posts to have labels, but tagging them all at once was a daunting task. Therefore I counted the untagged posts and divided them across one year, which gave me three per day. By tagging three posts per day over the course of a year I got the whole lot done and I never had to sit down and do one enormous, boring task in one sitting.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - This comes up more than you might think.
PPS - It may qualify as a kind of obsessive compulsive disorder.

No comments: