Thursday 14 May 2009

Mad Max

I saw Mad Max for the first time on Tuesday and was disappointed. This is supposed to be a "dystopian future", but it looked more like two rival outback gangs and some misplaced guys in suits. The story, such as it was, was hard to follow, mostly because of Johnny The Kid, whose status and origin I was never quite clear on. I may have gotten him and someone else mixed up. The characters were thin and the effects more implied than carried off. The only reason this movie is culturally recognised at all is that Mel Gibson went on to do better things. Anyway, the interesting thing that I wanted to note is when he leaves Johnny The Kid with a hacksaw and his ankle handcuffed to the burning car. Sounds a lot like Saw to me.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Yes, I realise Saw came a lot later.
PPS - I just wonder if Mad Max inspired it, at least in part and subconsciously.

No comments: