Wednesday 20 May 2009

Software for upgrades

We can't always afford to upgrade to the latest and greatest hardware, and we shouldn't have to either. It's expensive and wasteful to change your phone every six months and your computer every two years. Software, however, is far more cheap and flexible, and that is the way to make the best of what you've got.

The other day I mentioned that I have a book in my phone that I can read, and was asked if it was an iPhone. Nope. This is a plain old Nokia running the now-outdated Symbian S40 system. The way people go on about it, you'd think Apple invented running apps on phones, but all your Java games are apps too, running on your older phone.

Your old laptop can be salvaged with Linux or (soon) Windows 7 and your "outdated" iPod can run Rockbox. When the pace of hardware seems to outrun your wallet, look for new software to fill the gap. You'll often be pleasantly surprised. I'd like Google's Android to be able to run on my phone, but unfortunately this seems to be a case of software designed for new hardware.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I have never installed Rockbox on an iPod.
PPS - But since it lets you keep the original firmware too, the risk is not too great.

No comments: