Wednesday 21 January 2009

Vacuuming a tiny fish tank

Deb has a tiny aquarium specifically for brine shrimp, which she feeds to her fighting fish now and then as a treat. The nature of the things, however, is that they aren't always all alive when you get them from the shop, and their little dead bodies litter the bottom of the small tank. The other day I saw how Deb cleans out the dead bodies from the bottom: she inserts a drinking straw with her finger over the end, then quickly releases and replaces her finger, sucking up water and debris from the bottom of the tank, which she then transfers to a small cup for inspection and discarding. I think it's ingenious, and for some reason I can't imagine having come up with such a solution on my own.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Some days the world reminds you that you might be clever, but you don't have it all covered.
PPS - If I start having a lot of those moments, I should worry.

No comments: