Monday 12 January 2009

I think I bought a house

Last Saturday Deb and I went out to Strathpine to inspect a house that looked interesting. Everything seemed pretty right about the property and the location, so we decided to make an offer. After only a few minutes, the agent had the contract drawn up and had been on the phone with the seller to settle a price. Before I knew it, I had signed away more money than I have ever controlled in my entire life.

It seems something like that should take more time, proportional to the amount of money involved. Let's say one second per dollar involved. At that rate, thinking about a $30K car would take an entire workday, and a $300K house about a week and a half. That feels like a much more acceptable pace to me, rather than signing contracts within two hours. I guess I'm just more laid back than everyone who owns, buys, sells or negotiates properties.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I'm terrified.
PPS - The agent's calm (from his experience) just makes things worse.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Terrified? I can understand completely! Once the terror passes it can actually be fun, so don't freak out too early!

Best of luck with the next month of back and forth with finance and building inspections etc! If you need a hand with anything, just let me know!

Miv

P.S. We need to have you two around for dinner soon, what nights are you free these days?

John said...

I expect it will be fun, but this is also the first time I've moved house. Ever. I have no idea how much stuff I have, or how much I'll be getting rid of when we go.

As for dinner, maybe I'll continue that conversation in a slightly more private channel like email.

Unknown said...

Ahhah but you have been thinking about buying much more than a week and a half - months in fact. Doesn't that count?
Hope it will be a delightful journey for you and Deb. Making it YOURS. Hmmm, can be expensive so keep those brakes on her :)

Anonymous said...

hey hey
congrats!!!!
i might have to cut my trip short so i can come and have a sticky
though i'm sure you will post photos soon enough
love and misses
b*

John said...

It's true that we've been considering this big purchase for some time, but when it comes to a specific place, you still want to have time to think about that case.

Bron, I'm sure we'll still have the place when you return, so no need to rush back on our behalf. :)