Tuesday 3 June 2008

AVG 8.0 annoyances

I've updated my home machines to use AVG Free 8.0 for virus protection at the insistence of version 7. The one annoyance I have is the link scanner. My web surfing has been generally pretty clean and safe without link scanning so far, and the big green ticks on Google search results are a bit ugly. Furthermore, I don't know if it's using extra bandwidth to check the websites and whether the feature allows my web browsing to be tracked, violating my privacy. If I turn the feature off in AVG, it reports itself in an "error" state, the same as if its signatures are out of date. I guess this is the price I pay for using a free security product. The price for version 7 was large obnoxious update windows every time the machine booted up.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I have discovered that I can disable the link scanner Firefox plugin.
PPS - I guess that will do for now.

No comments: