Friday 30 December 2005

Joss Whedon as a wrap-up writer

I have come to a little conclusion regarding Joss Whedon, creator/writer/director of Buffy, Angel and Firefly: he can't write a really good final ending. The wrong characters die in stupid and unpredictable ways, the last part of the last scene is always foreshadowing instead of an ending, and permanent damage is done to the characters in some way. On the plus side, the endings are still dramatic, suspenseful and spectacular.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Joss' endings are probably his way of saying that life goes on.
PPS - And they're different from typical Hollywood tripe. I've got to give him that.

1 comment:

Pstonie said...

I really had no problem with the ending of Firefly, I thought it was a good movie with a strong message. His ending felt more real to me since he bravely killed off one of the main characters and turned everyone else's universe upside-down.

On the other hand, I never could watch his series, they all seem to me like melodramas which use their own mythologies as a primary plot device. The futuristic space western, the bad guy monster vs the good guys supernatural and the blonde highschool chick who runs around with her friends, kicking vampire-cannibal-zombie-demons.

Until I saw Firefly, I actually thought Whedon was a dumbass.