Thursday 15 September 2011

If you could not fail

There's an inspirational/motivational quote attributed to Robert Schuller that goes like this: "What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" It's meant to focus you on the dreams you are too afraid to pursue, rather than attempting the literally impossible. But between the impossible and the scary is the very unlikely. If I knew I could not fail, I would make a career of acting. I know I have friends and relatives who would encourage me, but realistically I would put in maybe fifteen years of amateur performances paying my dues, by which time I would be nearly fifty. I might be lucky enough to score a couple of gigs as a background extra before I am too old to work, so over my total acting career, my income would be less than six months at my current salary. I have a family to support, and I can't do that as a struggling actor. But if I knew I could not fail, I would do it. My point is that there's a difference between fear of failure and realistic assessment of probability.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Acting is a very competitive field, and being talented is not enough.
PPS - You have to be well-connected too.

No comments: