Thursday 10 September 2009

Praise for Toshiba DVD players

Yesterday we experienced some kind of blackout or power surge. I'm not sure which, because none of our circuit breakers tripped, but it seemed to do permanent damage to our DVD player and my computer's UPS. The DVD player has needed replacing for some time, so I'm not too cut up about that. We headed out to JB HiFi almost immediately to replace it, and I asked one question: are these players multi-region?

The answer, in general, is "no" for all major brands. Toshiba, on the other hand, actually seems to like their customers, and we were informed that the Toshiba player comes with an instruction card in the box that tells you how to turn off region coding. That's the first thing I did when I got it home, and it works perfectly on Deb's region 1 DVDs. So today my hat is off to Toshiba for selling a DVD player that does things properly.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - It's the UPS battery backup that has me stumped.
PPS - I'd be quite annoyed if I had to replace that too.

No comments: