Wednesday 15 July 2009

I has a shiny

Yesterday Deb and I went computer shopping and picked up a new Acer computer including a 23-inch widescreen monitor and Logitech Z4 speakers. After five years or so using a home-built machine, a few things were immediately apparent:
  1. My old rig sounded like a jet engine compared to this new one.
  2. It's astonishing how quickly a bigger monitor starts to feel normal.
  3. External speakers are just what I needed all along.
  4. The faster processor makes everything generally more pleasant.
  5. Too many USB ports is never enough.
Mokalus of Borg

PS - After I plugged in mouse, keyboard, external hard drive and printer, I'd run out of USB on the back.
PPS - The wireless network adaptor needed to go in the front.

2 comments:

Miv said...

Yay! I'm happy that you're enjoying your new computer!

As far as USB's go, there is always the option of an external USB splitter. Also, wouldn't either the keyboard or mouse be better suited to a forward USB configuration? Or is it simply force of habit pushing the need to plug from behind? :)

Seriously though, glad to hear you got yourself a new rig. Now watch how quickly you fill it all up again!

John said...

I had considered attaching an external USB hub, simply for convenience on the top of the desk. And I prefer to have the mouse and keyboard go in the back to keep the cords out of the way, so I don't think that will change.