Tuesday 13 February 2007

Auto-hide

I would like a Messenger plugin that detects when a message window has been inactive for an hour (or another time period) and just closes it automatically. The main reason I want this is that my instant messaging conversations don't always include a "goodbye" portion. So usually I end up with windows that stay open forever, just in case the conversation is not yet over. Sometimes I close it myself and it turns out we weren't done. That's not the main point though.

The Windows System Tray has (in Windows XP) an auto-hide feature that keeps inactive icons out of sight. The idea can be extended to any open windows. If you haven't used it for an hour and it hasn't changed in that hour, move it to a "limbo" tray. It would keep the task bar relatively clutter-free, if that's your thing.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Clutter-free is my thing.
PPS - But only in information, not physical objects.

No comments: