Monday 7 June 2004

The Past and Future of Adventure Games

I started playing "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic" on the weekend. I think it's the first RPG I've played, ever. It got me thinking that this is where adventure games have gone. If you just take away stats and combat, it's a new-school adventure. If adventure gamers want new games, we'd better get used to other genres that provide adventure elements. We'd better be prepared to put up with some action and probably stat-building, too.

It can be a good thing. If I was a purist, I'd be screaming at me right now that adventures were the best genre ever, nothing can replace them, etc. Then the other half of me would tell me to shut up and deal. Then maybe a third part would step in, put and end to the fighting and buy us both some cake. And if I was a game developer, I just might sneak in an option to handle stats automatically. We can all get along.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - My brother, known online as "Ug the Caveman", thought I'd bought a Sims expansion.
PPS - And he's been trying to pique my interest in RPGs for years.

No comments: