Thursday 27 May 2004

He probably eats lemons

I just got driven home by the most ornery bus driver in Brisbane. It's not really that he's openly hostile, but if you want to ride on his bus, you'd better have a damn good excuse. Don't try to use even a pre-paid concession ticket without a concession ID, and God help you if you want to buy a ticket and need change. If he forgets to open the back door for you, you'd just better hoof it on up to the front before he drives off again. If he doesn't stop when you ding the bell, that's because he doesn't like your face.

I almost get the feeling this guy drives over puppies on purpose, and for fun. I remember him from my university days. No matter how long it took, or how much of a rush you were in to get to your lecture/tutorial/exam/date, he'd meticulously compare each picture ID with the presenting patron. I never saw him refuse entry, but did see him take issue with one or two cards.

Some bus drivers get thanked after the journey. I'll give you three guesses whether this driver is one of those. Some of my friends claim to have met the "Singing Bus Driver" who is all smiles and pleasantness to everyone on board, and belts out show tunes at the top of his talented lungs for the duration of the trip. With all the busses I've caught over the years, I'd think that, at least once, my driver would turn out to be Happy and not Grumpy.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - This is the first time I've seen this bus driver in a while.
PPS - I hope it's the last in just as long.

No comments: