Monday 29 March 2004

It's Days Like These

Last night I forgot to set my alarm clock, so this morning I was glad that I still live with my Dad who still makes sure that meal times are family times. I was up a little later than I planned, but when I rearranged my morning routine, everything fitted in nicely and I still had time for fifteen minutes of reading before I left for work.

I'm breezing through Isaac Asimov's "I, Robot" partly because it's a classic I recently bought and partly because I've seen a trailer for the upcoming movie. It looks to me like the movie will be incredibly unfaithful to the Three Laws and Asimov's vision for the world of robots. To be sure, his stories usually involve something going wrong with a robot, but the movie shows blatant breakage of the First Law on a wide scale by thousands of robots. The story as I remember it never had anything like that. I guess the original story couldn't make much of a movie. So why try to make one?

I'll probably go see it anyway.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Well, that drifted rather rapidly off-topic, didn't it?
PPS - The Three Laws of Robotics.

No comments: