Wednesday 9 April 2014

Automated interpersonal package delivery

What I would very much like to set up is a private package delivery network between my family and friends. If I want to borrow a physical book from a friend, I would just text them the request and send a quadcopter drone to them. They put the book in a box and send it back. I wouldn't need to wait until I see them next or arrange a meeting to exchange physical goods. Just send the drone.

I think this would also be a very neat way to use self-storage. If you have some automation inside a storage locker, then you can access it from anywhere with drones. To put something away in storage, tell the drone what it's picking up (so you can retrieve it later), then just put it in the drone when it arrives. To get it back, look it up in your index (presumably on a mobile app that lets the drone find you) and tap "deliver". You could even throw things out from storage or have them all moved to another facility or a bigger locker without ever going there.

You know what drone delivery reminds me of most? The little parachute "gifts" from sponsors in The Hunger Games. They float down from some unspecified location in the sky right to where you are. Swap the parachute for four little helicopter rotors and that's exactly what I'm talking about.

Basically, drone delivery lets you be as disorganised with your physical stuff as you currently are with your real-life plans since mobile phones came along.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - This does ignore security.
PPS - Now your possessions can be "Only a Drone-Call Away(TM)".

No comments: