Tuesday 24 September 2013

Fringe continuity errors between seasons 1 and 2

I've been watching Fringe for the first time, and I'm a little confused by something. There are some potential spoilers here, so if that's a button for you, step aside now.

Really, last chance. I'm going to spoil things right now.

Okay, so at the end of season 1, Olivia travels to "the other side", another world, in which William Bell is currently residing. She gets there in a lift, after Nina Sharp misses a meeting with her. There are weird flashes of light, some other people briefly appear and disappear, then the lift doors open, leaving Olivia in the other world. We see William Bell greet her, but that's it.

At the beginning of season 2, we open on a car crash apparently involving Olivia. After she has been locked inside her car for an hour following the crash, it crumples and she is propelled through the windscreen. In episode 4, Bell calls her back to the other world, then says something about momentum being deferred, which is why she came back last time so violently - he pulled her out of a moving car.

Only hang on a sec, because he never did any such thing. She was never in a car, she was in a building, on foot. I know I didn't miss anything, because I checked. I thought there must have been some episode missing at the end of season 1, but there wasn't. Olivia enters another world in a lift and comes crashing back through her car's windscreen, then we are told something about momentum will blah molecules mumble CAR CRASH! It still doesn't make sense to me, but I can't find any explanation online because there is another, more glaring continuity error in season 2 episode 11, where her dead partner, Charlie, reappears without explanation for one episode.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I guess for other fans of the show this would be very old news.
PPS - Or irrelevant.

No comments: