Friday 17 May 2013

Friday writing update

I've been a bit slack this week. Normally, my morning commute is devoted to writing, and the only thing I've done is write a half-hearted flash fiction piece about a world of killer fungus spores and finish off my second novel in outline. I really lost energy for that one after November. The story stopped being about the things I thought it would be, and I wasn't that happy with the way it went. It took me 30 days to get 50,000 words, then the next five months to write the final 4000. The truth is, I've been much more interested in going back to my first novel, breaking it all down, figuring out what viewpoints I want to follow and giving it another go from the start. So that's what I'm going to do now, in between trying to get my flash fiction published.

About that, right now, before I've submitted anything (I'm waiting for workshop feedback, due in about two weeks, for one story) I have a weird kind of optimism. While I know that most wannabe authors would go their whole lives without getting anything published at all, I'm still excited in advance, because part of me figures I'll only have to submit a story to two, maybe three places before I can start bragging. The rest of me believes that my little inner optimist is in for a serious reality check. But that's not for two weeks or so.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Until then, I'm going to be re-reading my first novel and writing out a plot summary.
PPS - And character descriptions.

No comments: