Someone should write a list of things you should know how to do around the house. Not basic domestic skills like washing dishes, but how those tasks map to the particular features of the house, such as:
- How to turn the mains power on and off
- How to turn the water mains on and off
- How to work the washing machine, clothes dryer, dishwasher, barbeque, oven and stove
- TV, DVD and stereo operations
- Where all the cleaning products are kept
And my personal favourites:
- Restoring internet connectivity
- What's the wifi password?
Those kinds of things should go in every house's operating manual. I plan on drawing up document templates that anyone can fill out. Then, if you ever need a house-sitter, or you move out and make your current house a rental, you can just hand over a printout of all the pertinent information. It might work even better as a digital document, with photos and videos embedded for some elements, but it would be easiest to put together as a paper document.
Mokalus of Borg
PS - For house-sitting, include some info on pet care.
PPS - I also need a good name. "Domestic User Manual" makes for a mildly insulting acronym.