Thursday 19 January 2012

Kindle and DRM

I have a kind of hard line about buying anything locked up with DRM. I don't buy it, because it only encourages them to tighten their hold, and I don't like paying that much for things I can't keep. I am breaking this rule for books on Kindle. If I am unlikely to read a book a second time, then I don't necessarily need to keep it, and the ebook versions are half the price of paper versions. That's a win.

Also, I would accept them as gifts, because it doesn't feel like directly supporting a DRM scheme, even though it really is. Somehow it just seems different if it's not my own money going to Amazon. And there are other advantages as well, such as instant delivery, no matter where you are in the world. They take up no space and are with me everywhere. The disadvantage of ebooks as gifts is that there's nothing to wrap up and physically hand over, which does make it feel less like a real gift.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - So owning a Kindle hasn't made me change my mind about DRM.
PPS - I've just changed my rationalisation.

No comments: