Wednesday 4 January 2012

How I spent my holidays

Today is my last day of leave from work. I've had two weeks off, and during those weeks I've been tracking the time I spent on various activities. I did have a plan, to start with, where I had allocated up to 90 minutes a day for exercise, 1 hour for chores, 2 hours for general recreation and so on, but I didn't quite stick to it. In the end, I spent a lot more time on general recreation and a lot less on editing my novel than I had planned. Over two weeks, I spent approximately:

10 hours on household chores
4.5 hours running errands
5 hours on exercise
2.75 hours editing
37.5 hours on general recreation

Recreation consisted of:

13.75 hours reading
12.75 hours playing City of Heroes
9.75 hours watching Mythbusters
1 hour playing Minecraft (I just couldn't get into it)
and a 15-minute TED talk

I was only tracking time while I was on my own, too, so this is not a complete breakdown of my 24/7 holiday lifestyle, but clearly I have a much greater affinity for reading and playing games than keeping my house in order, and I find it very difficult to knuckle down and edit my novel.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I wonder if there's a way I can trick myself into focusing on editing.
PPS - But if I need to be tricked, it's probably not going to be done well.

No comments: