Friday 5 May 2006

MS Office / OpenOffice Co-operation

How long will it be before someone produces a plug-in for MS Office 12 that allows importing and exporting of OpenOffice documents? My guess is not very long at all. Microsoft is doing all they can to prevent interoperability with OpenOffice.org, unfortunately for their customers. If Microsoft had any confidence in their software at all, they would be happy to support the open document standards, secure in the knowledge that they are providing a superior product at a reasonable price that will still turn a profit. Instead, they are locking up Office 12, refusing to natively support the public open XML document standard (recently voted in as ISO 26300) and patent-licensing their own XML document standards in order to close off as many interoperability pathways as possible. Somebody at Microsoft is scared. Very scared.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - If you serve your customers well, they will reward you.
PPS - If you lock up your customers, they'll try to escape.

UPDATE: Seems I am unconsciously in tune with Slashdot - this story appeared there just recently, detailing someone working on exactly the problem I've detailed above.

2 comments:

Erin Marie said...

You know what?

I think I understood about 1% of that. Maybe less.

Erin Marie said...

Actually, I lie. I read it again, and I understand a lot more than I thought I did.

But still...