Monday 12 September 2005

Show-off

One thing I can't stand to listen to is bragging. If you're telling me a story about yourself with the intention of making me say "wow", chances are good that you won't get it. You'll get a disinterested yawn and you'll have to try harder to make me listen to any of your stories in future. It's because I don't care how great you think you are or how amazing your experiences have been - I care about finding out for myself.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - You don't need to puff yourself up to look big.
PPS - It usually has the opposite effect.

3 comments:

Erin Marie said...

My brain right now is going 'Is he talking about you? Oh no! What if he is? What have I been saying about myself? Have I been showing off again? Does he not want to get to know me anymore?'

Am I self-centred or what?

John said...

No, not you. Sometimes our youth group kids - particularly the boys - get into a game where they see whose stories are the best. At that time, I just long for the day when they get to realise that we like their stories, but that's not why we care about them as people.

Erin Marie said...

Yeah ... they're cute - they're only trying to impress us after all. Maybe we need to do more to help them to understand that we like them for who they are, and not what they can do.