Thursday 8 September 2005

A partly-remembered face

I dreamed last night of a conglomeration of faces and names of people I have known or encountered. I bumped into this person in a supermarket and she grabbed my arm. She wouldn't let go until I remembered her name, and she gave me the hint that it was only three letters long. I eventually guessed "Nobi", which I realise is four letters long, and that confused me for a while. I think the name is a fusion of "Obi-Wan" and "Niobe" (from The Matrix Reloaded).

I'm not sure of all the pieces on which my memory drew to construct this Gestalten girl, but I think I recognise a few from primary school and NCYC. There was probably a bit of the Gospel Music Festival in there, too.

There wasn't much more to the dream than that - we bumped into each other, and eventually we were separated again, like ships passing in the night.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - It feels like a cop-out to write about a dream.
PPS - Maybe I'll do better tomorrow.

4 comments:

Erin Marie said...

Why would it be a cop-out?

John said...

Because all of our subconscious minds are creative in strange ways. To pick up one of the stories it tells and repeat it verbatim requires no conscious effort and provides no added value. I urge myself to be inspired by dreams or re-tell their stories in a way that is more complete than the half-forgotten ramblings I can dig up when I surface from the murk of nightly unconsciousness.

Erin Marie said...

Deeeeeeeeeeeep.

Just because you put little to no conscious effort in doesn't mean that people won't still find it interesting.

John said...

True.

It still feels like I'm plagiarising my id, though.