Monday 5 May 2014

Single-beneficiary charities

When I hear about a charity set up to benefit exactly one person, I'm kind of conflicted. I appreciate that people have needs that aren't always met, and that charity is a good way to support those people, but it seems to me that a charity focusing on one solitary person might be too narrow. What happens if you are spectacularly successful at raising money to support yourself via charity, so that your new means far exceed your needs? I don't know how most of these super-focused charities handle that, but I expect some people would just say that's their good luck balancing the bad, and keep it. Some would hoard it just in case, for example, there's a relapse of cancer and more support is needed. The only ones I could respect would give it away to others in similar situations.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I'm not sure how I would handle it, though.
PPS - I mean, for example, how can you tell in advance how much cancer treatment you'll need?

No comments: