Thursday 16 April 2009

What's so great about the Mac OS Dock?

What's so great about the Mac OS dock? I see countless projects and tools emulating it for Windows or Linux. Not being a Mac user myself, I don't have much first-hand experience with it, but what little I had left me unimpressed. I was unable to tell currently-running programs from shortcuts to start new programs, and that seems pretty important if you're trying to switch to another running process. Perhaps it's balanced with other OS X features that make sense of it all.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - Mal and Linda are both Macbook owners now.
PPS - Perhaps they can explain it for me.

3 comments:

Miv said...

LOL!

At this risk of massive flaming, I put forward that using a mac is more about image than computing.

While my jaded existence within the marketing and advertising universe may slight my vision, I still can't help but feel that Apple is more marketing than machine.

Why else would people pay more for less?

Miv said...

Just re-reading my comment, I didn't actually refer to your blog.

I personally haven't used it either, but I can't imagine how it would be any more useful than a toolbar with quicklaunch. But I agree there may be more I'm unaware of through lack of use.

John said...

A lot of people crow about the ease of use or security, but style probably is one of the bigger items on that price tag.