Thursday 29 May 2008

Border security for laptops

In the lead-up to my trip to the USA, I am growing increasingly paranoid about having my laptop searched at the border. Am I worried about them finding something incriminating? Not at all. Do I trust them not to abuse anything they copy? Well, mostly. I guess part of what I'm worried about is (a) having to show my private files to border security as if I'm a suspect in a crime and (b) them keeping secure whatever they copy. If we happen to be searched by one careless or incompetent border security person and my copied information is accidentally leaked, it's got my credit card numbers there, and all my website passwords. They're pretty well protected, but it's still not something I want copied willy-nilly and left in someone else's control.

In the end, perhaps my best defense will be that my particular laptop takes ten full minutes to warm up and is so slow to respond to most actions that they will give up in disgust and move on.

Mokalus of Borg

PS - I discovered hard drive encryption and my worries eased somewhat.
PPS - I still don't know how much I want to encrypt, though.

No comments: