Wednesday 20 June 2007

Improvements Windows could use

I think the following changes would make a positive change to my desktop computing experience:
  1. Integrated alerts system, including historical logging. The Windows Event Log, for instance, but more to the fore and used for everything from "new mail" alerts to program start-up failures.

  2. Desktop cleanup extended to Add/Remove Programs and Quick Launch. Keep disk usage to a minimum by uninstalling unused programs (and Windows features) and remove unused Quick Launch icons just like on the desktop.

  3. Hide Inactive Windows just like the System Tray hides inactive icons. I don't need to see my email program all day, just when there's new mail.

  4. Better scheduling. My scheduled programs never seem to work, and I've seen the same thing on our servers at the office. I also want to schedule actions for startup and shutdown.

  5. Better shell scripting capabilities. I shouldn't need to compile a program in C# that makes operating system calls for archiving old files. It should be possible in a plain batch file.

  6. Minimise any window to the system tray. Sometimes I don't want to be bothered by another taskbar button at all.

  7. Drag and drop to rearrange taskbar buttons. I like them in order.
Mokalus of Borg

PS - I think of these things now and then.
PPS - I get some of them from third-party software right now.

No comments: